A journey in words...

Welcome to my journey in words! A story about health, exercise, weight loss, food addiction, humor, size discrimination, sarcasm, social commentary and all the rest that’s rattling around inside my head...

I now twit, er... or tweet. Anyway, you can follow me on twitter @Aeon1202

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Small Goals List

Right now I’m working on setting and achieving small goals with my health coach (yes, I have a health coach).  This is the current list I’ve been working on over the last few months with varying degrees of success:

1)      No liquid calories.
2)      No abusing of me.
3)      No meals that consist of snack foods.
4)      Remember to write every day.

My coach liked the goals a picked a lot and asked me to re-commit myself to them once again in the upcoming month.  She also asked me to select a new one now, so here is my choice:

5)      Practice carbohydrate substitutions when possible.

Carb substitutions are something I’ve mostly learned from my friend Teddi who does not eat wheat.  She’s not deliberately trying to avoid carbs but since breads consist of them so heavily, she often does as a side effect.

A good example would be when I make a dinner of pasta with sauce and meatballs for Ted and Kyle.  For myself, I simply get a bag of pre-washed baby spinach.  Fill a big bowl with as much spinach as I want, and top with pasta sauce and a few meatballs.  By eliminating the pasta, I’m eliminating the unhealthy, carb-heavy bleached flour along with a crap ton of calories.

Also spinach with pasta sauce is surprisingly tasty, you should try it.

Another example would be ordering a burger wrapped in leaves rather than its usual butter soaked bun at restaurants.  Many restaurants are actually offering this option on their menu these days and won’t even bat an eye.

Anyway, those are the small goals currently on my plate.  What are yours?


No comments:

Post a Comment