A journey in words...

Welcome to my journey in words! A story about health, exercise, weight loss, food addiction, humor, size discrimination, sarcasm, social commentary and all the rest that’s rattling around inside my head...

I now twit, er... or tweet. Anyway, you can follow me on twitter @Aeon1202

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Recipe Share: Squash & Sweet Potato Soup

This recipe is the result of my combining two other recipes I was given by a co-worker: one for butternut squash soup and one for sweet potato.  Both of hers were vegetarian, but in soups I really like the flavor that chicken broth adds.  I also roasted the vegetables instead of boiling because I like the way the flavors in roasted vegetables develop.  The end result is a sweet and savory soup, thick, creamy and rich.  Perfect for the fall - but pretty danged good right now too!



Squash & Sweet Potato Soup

  • 2 large peeled & cubed sweet potatoes
  • 1 small peeled & cubed butternut squash
  • 1 medium peeled & diced onion
  • 1 cup peeled & diced carrots
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 5 cups chicken broth (enough to cover all ingredients)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
  • ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • ½ teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
  • Salt & pepper to taste

1)      Toss sweet potatoes & squash in 1 tbsp. olive oil.
2)      Bake sweet potatoes & squash @ 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
3)      Dice onion, carrots & celery in a food processor.
4)      Sautee onion, carrots & celery in the oil until tender.
5)      Add squash, sweet potatoes & broth.
6)      Bring to a boil, reduce heat and then simmer covered for 40 minutes.
7)      Add seasonings and blend with immersion blender until smooth.


No comments:

Post a Comment