A journey in words...

Welcome to my journey in words! A story about health, exercise, weight loss, food addiction, humor, size discrimination, sarcasm, social commentary and all the rest that’s rattling around inside my head...

I now twit, er... or tweet. Anyway, you can follow me on twitter @Aeon1202

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The Legend of Dog

At some point in my life I encountered a legend about why dog is man’s best friend and most faithful companion. It went something like this:

When Man fell from grace, and the great chasm of fear opened between he and the rest of the animal kingdom, Dog bravely jumped the gap for he could not bear to be parted from his friend.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I’ve scoured Google but I cannot seem to find it now, nor figure out its exact origins. It’s reminiscent of Native American folklore, yet also seems to allude to Christian tradition. It’s entirely possible that it was dialogue spoken by one of the characters on the TV program Northern Exposure, because it sounds precisely like something that would have appeared on that show.

Unfortunately I cannot remember where exactly I heard it.

Regardless, it's been on my mind of late.


No comments:

Post a Comment