A journey in words...

Welcome to my journey in words! A story about health, exercise, weight loss, food addiction, humor, size discrimination, sarcasm, social commentary and all the rest that’s rattling around inside my head...

I now twit, er... or tweet. Anyway, you can follow me on twitter @Aeon1202

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

25 Grams

Using Dr. Ornish’s book I totaled up how many grams of fat (or less) per day I should eat if I want to attain my goal weight of 150-ish pounds.

It’s 25.

That may sound like a lot, but you can kill 25 grams pretty easily. As in, a single serving of McDonald’s French fries contains my entire daily allotment of fat.

A single teaspoon of olive oil contains 4.

This means re-evaluating certain healthy, beloved, but fat-rich foods that I’ve been desperately clinging to since going partial vegetarian. Like nuts and avocadoes.

The lack of meat isn’t nearly enough; it’s going to take a lot more commitment than that if I really want this.

Basically it boils down to a pretty simple concept; if you eat fat you are fat.

I’ve noticed in totaling up my daily plate that if I simply watch the fat grams and keep them low, it’s remarkably easy to stay within the calorie allotment too. And there’s a lot of flavorful food I can enjoy as much as I want of, like the ro-tel and black bean spicy southwestern vegetable soup I whipped up on Monday night when I was ravenous and Ted was late getting home from work.

But… I might need to cry just a little bit over avocadoes.

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-More-Weigh-Less-Abundantly/dp/0060959576

1 comment:

  1. Just think, once you reach your goal weight you can go back to eating some avocado. They're super good for your heart; all plant based fats are (ok, except palm oil).

    All fat - plant or animal - has 120 calories a tablespoon. That's about a puddle the size of the first knuckle of your thumb.

    ReplyDelete