A journey in words...

Welcome to my journey in words! A story about health, exercise, weight loss, food addiction, humor, size discrimination, sarcasm, social commentary and all the rest that’s rattling around inside my head...

I now twit, er... or tweet. Anyway, you can follow me on twitter @Aeon1202

Monday, March 1, 2010

No Pudge

Sunday night; family dinner at my parent’s / sister’s house.

It was fine; yes the roast beef smelled wonderful and no I did not eat it. I had a Morningstar Farm vegetarian Chick Pattie and all the vegetable side dishes that everyone else was eating.

The hard part came when they broke out the brownies for desert. I survived it, I didn’t have one. But I was feeling pretty morose and sorry for myself afterward as I wandered through the grocery store with Ted picking up a few odds and ends for the upcoming work week.

Then I noticed something on the shelf; “No Pudge Fat Free Brownies”.

Sure, I’m thinking to myself, fat free and probably taste like cardboard. But I was desperate enough to buy the pink box and bring it home.

I mixed in one 6 oz. container of organic, vanilla, low fat yogurt and the dry mix turned into something thick, gooey and very chocolaty smelling.

I became tentatively optimistic.

The package directions said to bake for 30 minutes. I like brownies to me mushy (not cake-like) so I shortened that cook time to 28 minutes instead.

I don’t know who sold what portion of their soul to whom at the No Pudge company, but these things taste like the real deal – I am not kidding you. We are talking chewy, sticky, brownie-goodness here.

The company name is slightly offensive (seriously… No Pudge?), the serving size is not huge (1/12 of an 8 x 8” pan), and they do contain both sugar and the extremely evil “unbleached white flour”. But they come in at a mere 130 to 140 calories (with yogurt) per serving and have no fat. None.

That means I can eat them without worrying about blundering over my 10% dietary fat mark. I can have a warm, gooey, chocolate rich desert without worries.

When someone is as chocoholic as I am… that made for one very happy Lacto-Ovo-Pescatarian-Brothavarian-Vegetarian-Ornish-Disciple.

Now if I can just figure out how not to eat the whole pan…


http://www.nopudge.com/


Ingredients: Pure cane sugar, unbleached wheat flour, Dutch cocoa, dark coffee,
egg whites, cornstarch, wheat gluten, salt & baking soda.

1 comment:

  1. There was a No Pudge single serving recipe floating around teh internets a few years ago....ah, cleverly hidden on the No Pudge website itself:

    "One of our consumers created this. In a small microwaveable container mix 2 tablespoons of your favorite flavor No Pudge! Brownie mix with 1 tablespoon of non-fat vanilla yogurt. Microwave on high for one minute. Top with fat-free frozen yogurt or whipped topping. Tastes like a warm, fudgy brownie pudding - Yum!!!"

    ReplyDelete