A journey in words...

Welcome to my journey in words! A story about health, exercise, weight loss, food addiction, humor, size discrimination, sarcasm, social commentary and all the rest that’s rattling around inside my head...

I now twit, er... or tweet. Anyway, you can follow me on twitter @Aeon1202

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Now We Are Free



Today, July 4th, American Independence Day, I encourage you to read the Declarationof Independence.  Absorb and digest what it says and what it means.  Take a moment to ponder those remarkable, brave folk who came before you.  Who fought and died for you to be free.

If your family came fairly recently from another place, as mine did, ponder that you came to a country which took you in and made a home for you, where you have thrived and hopefully prospered.

I ask you this question today: what are you using your freedom for?  How are you using it?  What will you do to protect it as we all hurtle forward into a persistently uncertain future?  What will you do to ensure that even those around you who you may or may not agree with still have a right to a voice and their own way of life?

These are the questions that come to me the most on days like today.  That and gratitude to be so very blessed.  To live in a country which, even though it’s far from perfect, I genuinely love.  My family does not have extra, but we have enough – and that is something to be extremely thankful for and in which to find a deep and enduring contentment.


“And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.”


No comments:

Post a Comment