A journey in words...

Welcome to my journey in words! A story about health, exercise, weight loss, food addiction, humor, size discrimination, sarcasm, social commentary and all the rest that’s rattling around inside my head...

I now twit, er... or tweet. Anyway, you can follow me on twitter @Aeon1202

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Stuffed Acorn Squash

One of my guest bloggers (Jo) sent me this recipe for Autumnal Stuffed Acorn Squash this morning. I haven't tried it out (yet) but intend to within the next few weeks!

**********2 Acorn Squash

Smidge of olive oil

1 C. Trader Joe’s Harvest Grains Blend

1 C. Veggie broth

1/4 C. Water

1 tsp. Butter

1 C. Onion, diced

1 C. Mushrooms, chopped

1 T. Olive oil

2 Cloves garlic, chopped

1/4 C. Walnuts, chopped

1/4 C. Dried Cranberries (I used the orange essence kind)

1/4 tsp. Salt

1/4 tsp. Cinnamon

Pinch of ground Ginger

Pinch of ground Cloves


Preheat oven to 375 deg. F. Halve each acorn squash and remove the innards. I brushed each half with olive oil (the oil is probably unnecessary) and placed face down in a pan. Bake for 30 minutes.


While the acorn squash is baking, start the stuffing.


Bring 1 C. broth and 1/4 C. water to boiling. [A note about the broth: I used a blend of broth and water only because I had 1-cup pouches of organic veggie broth in my pantry. I didn’t want to open a second pouch only to used a portion of it.] Add butter and grain blend. Bring back to boiling, turn down heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or so until cooked.


In a separate pan, sauté garlic and onion in olive oil, adding mushrooms after onion has started turning translucent.


Once grains and onions and mushrooms are cooked, mix them together in a large bowl with all other ingredients.


Back to the acorn squash: after baking for 30 minutes, remove from oven. Flip each half but leave in the pan. Scrape out a little bit of squash from each half. This is mostly to make a little more room in each half, but also adds a little squash flavor to the stuffing. Mix the removed squash into the stuffing mixture. Fill each acorn squash half with stuffing; mound it up! Cover the now stuffed squash with aluminum foil, and put the pan back in the oven. Bake for an additional 30 minutes.


[I only cooked one acorn squash last night, so I have half the stuffing left over for lunches and such. It’s fab all on its own.]

No comments:

Post a Comment