A journey in words...

Welcome to my journey in words! A story about health, exercise, weight loss, food addiction, humor, size discrimination, sarcasm, social commentary and all the rest that’s rattling around inside my head...

I now twit, er... or tweet. Anyway, you can follow me on twitter @Aeon1202

Friday, October 18, 2013

Why Weight Loss Fails

I have figured out why ninety-some-odd percent of people trying to loose weight fail at it.  I have cracked the code.  It's actually pretty simple: they just get tired.

This is because you can spend every single hour of every single day for two months straight doing absolutely everything right to remove excess fat from your body - and at the end of it... you're still fat.  You can do this for three months, maybe four, maybe ten... and possibly still be fat.

When you quit smoking, the minute after you quit you're no longer a smoker.  It's a very different thing from quitting cold turkey all the behaviors that made you fat and then having to wait.  And wait.  And wait.  And then wait some more - until you finally get to reap the rewards of your hard work.

And it's not that I don't see improvment and appreciate those pounds off every week, I do.  But I'm just feeling particularly tired of waiting tonight.  It's not just a lack of instant gratification we're talking about here - it's delayed gratification to an insane degree.

So that's why people fail, the overwhelming majority of us (understandably) just aren't that patient.  It's difficult to tolerate the extreme discipline and hard work it takes for long enough with the fruit of your hard-won labor constantly dangling just off over the horizon.  So people break.

No, I'm not giving up.  Yes I'm fine.  Tonight I'm just... tired.  Really tired.


No comments:

Post a Comment