A journey in words...

Welcome to my journey in words! A story about health, exercise, weight loss, food addiction, humor, size discrimination, sarcasm, social commentary and all the rest that’s rattling around inside my head...

I now twit, er... or tweet. Anyway, you can follow me on twitter @Aeon1202

Friday, February 14, 2014

Status Report: 4.8 lbs. lost, 53 lbs. total



To be fair, I had a 24 stomach bug last week so there were two days I only consumed about 500 calories each.  Immediately afterward I focused hard on re-hydrating so hopefully none of the loss was water, but it’s possible I’ll stay the same this coming week to recover from the big drop.

Illness aside, I kicked butt!  I worked out five out of seven days and stayed within my calorie goal every day!

I also had Ted dig out our old yoga mat so that I can start doing toning exercises on the floor as part of my tightening up regimen.  Right now I feel like I’m ineffectually floundering about rather than doing much good.  During crunches all I can think is that my neck hurts, during push-ups I’m mostly focused on the agony in my knees, and my body is not currently strong enough to get into a plank position at all.  I’m also finding that I’m still somewhat too ungainly for certain things.  For example, I have strong enough muscles for mountain climbers, but in that position my belly and thigh fat is still too much in the way for me to move at the proper speed or follow the proper range of movement, so it doesn’t really do much good.  Basically I'm finding out that there are some exercises that just don't work right until you're thinner, so they're more about maintaining weight loss than achieving it.

I actually don’t want to focus too much on abdominal work right now anyway.  Since it’s impossible to target which of your fat cells decide to shrink, all that building up the musculature in my abdomen is going to do right now is probably pooch out the fat on top even more.  Basically I need to take a lot more poundage off before toning workouts make a visual difference in my life.

Still, I want that extra muscle mass in general just for the simple fact that it burns calories all the time – even while I sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment