A journey in words...

Welcome to my journey in words! A story about health, exercise, weight loss, food addiction, humor, size discrimination, sarcasm, social commentary and all the rest that’s rattling around inside my head...

I now twit, er... or tweet. Anyway, you can follow me on twitter @Aeon1202

Monday, June 1, 2015

Recipe Share: Fridge Oatmeal

Oatmeal is a favorite breakfast of mine. Sometimes I take the time to cook it properly on the stove and add my own flavoring elements, but I also just go for a package of instant now and again. Since it’s hot, it’s a good warm-up breakfast on cold days, but in the summer it’s not quite so refreshing.

This recipe for refrigerator oatmeal is a creamy, lightly sweet, fruity porridge served cold for summer eating. It’s a delicious, hearty and healthy way to start the day. Additionally, I love anything I can prep ahead of time that is ready to grab and go!

Ingredients:
¼ cup rolled oats (not instant)
1/3 cup milk (I used 2%)
¼ cup low-fat Greek yogurt (I used Fage 0%)
1 & ½ tsp. chia seeds
2 tsp. honey (I like locally sourced, raw honey)
½ cup fresh fruit (in this case, fresh cherries & blueberries)


Nutrition (using ingredients listed above and before adding fruit):
Calories: 188
Fat: 5.21 g.
Cholesterol: 0 mg.
Sodium: 54.25 mg.
Carbs: 27.15 g.
Fiber: 3.9 g.
Protein: 12.89 g.
Sugar: 14.25 g.

Instructions:
You mix everything together in a cup sized storage container then leave it in the fridge a minimum of 24 hours. Another great thing about this recipe is it takes only around ten minutes to make. While it’s chilling, the mixture will thicken up, blend together and soften the oatmeal and chia seeds. It looked like this before I tucked it away overnight:


I used the rolled oats as the recipe specified, but I’m curious to try this one with steel cut oats (my favorite kind) and see how it turns out. I’m guessing the oats will be slightly chewy since steel cut requires a lot of cook time to soften up, but I like mine a little chewy (I tend to undercook them for just that reason) so I’m willing to give it a try.

Variations:
Substitute agave nectar, stevia, or artificial sweeteners for honey.
Spice it up with cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, flavor extracts, or whatever suits your fancy.
Strawberry basil oatmeal? I’d try it! Spicy cinnamon with vanilla extract? Sounds good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment