A journey in words...

Welcome to my journey in words! A story about health, exercise, weight loss, food addiction, humor, size discrimination, sarcasm, social commentary and all the rest that’s rattling around inside my head...

I now twit, er... or tweet. Anyway, you can follow me on twitter @Aeon1202

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Rude Reader

What is so tempting about a person reading a book?  When I see a person reading a book I don’t even say hello to them, I let them be unless they choose to look up and engage.

I have a stressful, non-stop, mentally exhausting, detail oriented job.  When my lunch break rolls around I want nothing more than to stick my nose in a book and be somewhere else for a while.  I live too far from where I work to go home at lunch time so I sit in the break room with my food and I read.  Every day.

Today one of the sales guys came in as I was reading and attempted to strike up conversation with me.  My responses were short and distracted and my attention repeatedly returned to my book.  It took several tries and caused me to lose my place each time but he eventually took the hint and left me to my book.  I don’t want to be rude like that, I just want to read in peace.

Shortly thereafter a co-worker came in and began to chit chat with me as my face was firmly planted in my book.  She continued to chit-chat, and I continued to read.  She then opened the microwave and exclaimed over how disgusting it was inside.  I continued to read.  Then another co-worker entered and she commented to them (in jest) over how disgusting the microwave was and how it was all my fault, since I determinedly continued to read instead of getting involved in her chit-chat.

This resulted in me essentially ignoring comments directed at me, which was awkward.  I don’t want to be rude or cause awkwardness, but I don’t know what else to do anymore.  I don’t want to talk about the microwave.  I just want to read.

Why do people refuse to leave people alone who are reading?

In desperation, I plan to put up a sign that says: “please do not disturb – I am reading.”
What would you do?


No comments:

Post a Comment