A journey in words...

Welcome to my journey in words! A story about health, exercise, weight loss, food addiction, humor, size discrimination, sarcasm, social commentary and all the rest that’s rattling around inside my head...

I now twit, er... or tweet. Anyway, you can follow me on twitter @Aeon1202

Friday, February 12, 2010

Fun with the Spine

I visited a Chiropractor for the first time in my life on Tuesday. I’ve long been afraid of them because I have no desire to have my back or any other part of my body ‘cracked’. I don’t even crack my knuckles. Plus I’ve heard countless stories of people going once and then needing to go every week indefinitely thereafter because the treatment wears off somehow and leaves you hurting again.

This one was referred to me by a co-worker who had a bad knee injury repaired and who assured me that I would not be asked to return for an indefinite number of adjustments. Plus she has a PhD (from what I understand not all of them do). So I figured I’d give it a try.

She quite nice; with very bright red hair and a gentle, slightly granola personality. She did about a hundred pushing, pulling and pressing diagnostic tests, asked a ton of questions and uses a variety of clicking and pounding devices that feel like a really deep massage – it actually felt really good, especially right after she’d finished.

She theorized that my problems now are stemming from a change in gait I experienced after breaking one leg and badly spraining the other two years ago; causing a walking over-compensation that’s resulted in imbalances over the years. Also I’ve got a funny walk to begin with because of the juvenile hip displasia I was born with.

Makes sense to me… and anyway she’s the one with the PhD so she’d know better than I do. She thinks she can have me fixed up in three visits or so, so I have two more appointments before I’m done.

Even without the poundings I do feel a lot better these days, I’ve realized if I compare how I feel week to week I do see slight improvement each time – it’s just so slow that it can’t be seen daily. So overall; good news.

Also no excuses – at no time has it ever been logical for me to stop exercising. Sitting on my butt in my office chair all day is a lot more harmful than any treadmill, elliptical or weight lifting device could ever be to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment