A journey in words...

Welcome to my journey in words! A story about health, exercise, weight loss, food addiction, humor, size discrimination, sarcasm, social commentary and all the rest that’s rattling around inside my head...

I now twit, er... or tweet. Anyway, you can follow me on twitter @Aeon1202

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Roasted Pumpkin Stew

Moving away from my moroseness of yesterday, here's a yummy new vegetarian recipe from my guest blogger, Joanna. Note: I have no clue what a cranberry bean is.

Reading over yesterday's comments (thank you for all of them) I realized that I want to try a twenty four hour sugar detox like Rick suggested just to see how I feel. This is going to require some pre-planning as I realized I do not even have any portable breakfast foods that contain no sugar. I also may extend it to forty eight hours instead of twenty four. I'll probably do it over a weekend so that my co-workers are not exposed to me if I turn into a raving psycho.

I'll get back to everyone later on how the experiment goes.

In the meantime, look - stew!

***************

Back in October I roasted a pumpkin. Some of that pumpkin ended up in pumpkin bread, but most went straight to the freezer for another day. ‘Another day’ was yesterday.

This is a recipe I saw on one of the few food blogs I follow, Broke Foodie. Her recipe can be found here: http://newbrokefoodie.blogspot.com/2011/01/cranberry-bean-pumpkin-and-sweet-corn.html. I didn’t have any cranberry beans, but white beans are easy to come by and I had the afore mentioned roasted pumpkin in the freezer.

This made about 6 servings, nearly all of which went into the bellies of my gaming group last night. Everyone seemed to really enjoy the stew. This recipe only used half my roasted pumpkin. I think the rest may have to be cooked into another batch of this stew. I need more for myself.

White Bean, Roasted Pumpkin and Corn Stew

2 T. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, c
hopped
3 medium tomat
oes, chopped (I used 6 canned whole tomatoes – didn’t bother chopping, just squished them through my fingers and into the pot)
paprika, salt and pepper
3 15oz cans white
beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups roasted pumpkin

Veggie broth
2 cups frozen corn

Fresh basil, chopped

Cayenne pepper (I used that chipotle chili power I’m obsessed with)

Sauté the onion
in the oil until soft, add garlic and tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes or so (until the tomatoes start to break down). Add the seasonings, beans and pumpkin. Add enough broth to float the whole thing, and cook on medium for 15-20 minutes. Add the corn toward the end and cook for another 10 minutes or so. Garnish with fresh basil and cayenne.

No comments:

Post a Comment