A journey in words...

Welcome to my journey in words! A story about health, exercise, weight loss, food addiction, humor, size discrimination, sarcasm, social commentary and all the rest that’s rattling around inside my head...

I now twit, er... or tweet. Anyway, you can follow me on twitter @Aeon1202

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Record Keeping

Okay, an unexpectedly useful part of this blog is that I can look back and see exactly when I seem to have begun damaging myself. I vaguely remembered mentioning awhile ago that the bottom of my right foot was hurting – went back and checked, and sure enough right there on October 23rd; bad sole of foot pain while using the elliptical.

Now the right foot and ankle hurts, the lower back hurts, and the entire right leg and side can’t feel hot or cold (mostly things just all feel vaguely warm).

This might mean no more elliptical – and that’s going to suck. That machine burns 300 calories per half hour for a woman of my size. However nerve damage sucks worse, so I’m just going to have to figure something else out. It’s possible the problem is just that a person of my generous proportion really shouldn’t be hurling themselves about quite so enthusiastically. Basically my stamina after a year and a half of regular gym visits has bypassed the safety protocols for my current size.

Best to lay off that machine until I’m smaller then try it again.

Which means what cardio to do now?

I love to swim; but I stopped lap swimming because I’m vain about my hair… the repeated chlorine exposure turns it into a dry, unruly mop.

The exercise bike doesn’t burn enough calories – barely more than 100 for a half hour.

That leaves the treadmill, or – I can join up with an aerobics class.

Since the treadmill tends to exacerbate my bad hip (yeah I have a bad hip like a little old lady due to juvenile hip dysplasia) it’s looking like I’m going to be investigating the class option.

God forcing me to be social again? Perhaps. Pushing my boundaries at least, definitely.

In happier news, whatever is wrong with me thankfully did not stop me from enjoying my birthday (and Kyle’s) at the indoor water park we went to. I climbed five flights of stairs five times during the course of the day – and that’s cardio for you. It’s funny how long it takes you to labor up there carrying your big inner tube compared to how quickly you go hurtling (and in my case screaming) through the pitch blackness to plunge into the pool below.

Loads of fun though!

And watching Ted tow people around the (not-so) lazy river had a high humor factor to boot. I even managed to coax him onto a water-slide. Hee.

35 years old (as of Wednesday) and I’ve finally had a pool party.

Rockin.

No comments:

Post a Comment